Tuesday, July 26, 2011

the cereal experiment: Kashi Golden Goodness

Just admit it, the anticipation has been killing you. Dear readers, I am happy to bring you the results of the first test case in the cereal experiment: Kashi Golden Goodness.


Results. Kashi Golden Goodness meets all of my criteria and has a surprisingly sweet taste with exciting granola clusters for great texture. And yes, granola clusters are exciting. The box says it is sweetened with a touch of honey, but I swear I taste a faint coffee flavor as well. And, given that I love coffee - this is an added bonus.


The flakes are abnormally tiny (which get soggy quickly) and should probably be called flakettes. The flakettes plus those great granola clusters led me to give it an average score for texture. On the positive side, the serving size is 1.25 cups. Larger quantity = more eating = happier Sara.


Let's talk nutrition (Table). The first ingredient is Kashi's seven grain blend, and I think Kashi probably knows what they are doing. For only 210 calories, 1.5 grams of fat, and a low 15% of calories from sugar you also get 6 grams of fiber and 7 grams of protein. All this for 28.5 cents/ounce (at my local Kroger).


Add some almond milk and raspberries and this cereal is a winner. This one could be a real contender. (And yes, my raspberry still has a stem on it and I probably (okay, definitely) ate it - extra fiber?).

One cereal down, many more to go.

5 comments:

  1. Buying some the next time I go shopping...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ergh! I bought the wrong one -- Kashi Go Lean Crunch with Almond honey flax instead of Kashi Golden Goodness. I don't even think I saw the GG. Too many Kashi options. The Crunch is ok, but not as sweet as I like my cereal (I'm a wimp). Adding berries helps.

    ReplyDelete
  3. @Imagine! haha! Well Kashi GoLean Crunch is on my list for review. When they say crunch they aren't kidding. GG seems to be less common, but it is worth a try.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh this is on my blog today! I LOVE it!

    ReplyDelete
  5. this is my favorite cereal and Kashi has stopped selling it. :<

    ReplyDelete