Thursday, November 1, 2012

housewarming party

I recently moved into a new home, and my boyfriend and I threw our first housewarming party a few weeks ago. The day included friends, family, wine, and, of course, delicious food made by yours truly. Fueled by my desire to make my own baba ghanoush, the party was Mediterranean themed. The party was a late-afternoon drop-in and I did my best to keep the menu simple, healthy, vegetarian, soy-free, and delicious. 


Close your eyes and imagine you were there. Or, better, yet, snag some of these recipes up and make them yourself.


Fresh yellow and green bell peppers and cucumbers with homemade hummus (made with love by my bestie).


More hummus with carrots sticks and celery for dipping.


Grape tomato, marinated feta, and fresh basil skewers.


Homemade baba ghanoush.


Toasted Trader Joes whole wheat pita for dipping.


Black mission figs, dried pineapple, and dried apricots.


Homemade pumpkin pie roasted almonds. There were also salted cashews.


Behold, the dessert table.


Quick & easy no bake oatmeal peanut butter bites. I made mine with almond butter to ensure they were kid friendly. I also called them squirrel nuts, because I am awesome.


And, finally, the piece de la resistance, homemade baklava


Drool.


And that, is the food-centered synopsis of the day my family and friends came together to transform my house into a home.


Home.

(All pictures courtesy of JB).

14 comments:

  1. I was all ready to comment of what a tasty-looking appetizer spread this was... and then I was the baklava. OMG. My favorite. It looks just perfect. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. yeah. it was pretty amazing. and by pretty i mean IT CHANGED MY LIFE.

      Delete
  2. Holy cow everything looks amazing! I have always wanted to make baklava, but never attempted it. In fact, I had just looked up a recipe yesterday! The stuff is like crack....I mean if you have ever had crack.
    :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a creative spread! It's always fun to plan menus for parties. Or is that just me...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow what an amazing feast! That baklava looks to die for!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love Mediterranean food, so this all looks awesome! I've never tried baklava before because it has nuts in it, but it looks so good! I need to try to make my own nut-free version.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I just had dinner, but I'm already drooling because everything looks great!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Holy yum, Batman! This looks amazing. Those skewers! AHHH!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I guess my invitation must have gotten lost in the mail ;) But oh.my.lanta everything looks absolutely delicious - definitely a party I'd want to be at given my love for all things Mediterranean. YOu make a great hostess :D

    ReplyDelete
  9. Invite me over for your next party! But seriously, that spread looks amazing and I think Mediterranean was such a good way to go!

    ReplyDelete
  10. GIRL i wish I could have come over. boy what a spread

    ReplyDelete
  11. Man I wish I could have been at your housewarming party all these recipes look so tasty! I have always wanted to make my own baba ganouch, or at least eat some! :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. I bet your friends and family absolutely love coming to your house because you always have such amazing food!

    ReplyDelete
  13. What a beautiful spread...I love all the colors! I've always wanted to try making homemade baba ghanoush, but haven't ever gotten around to it. I wanted to have a housewarming party when I moved into my new place but since I didn't have much furniture, I thought I'd wait a while. Now, here I am a year and a half later STILL with no furniture in either of my two spare bedrooms and no housewarming party...boo! :-/

    Is that a trifold picture frame in the background? It's super cute!

    ReplyDelete