Thursday, April 26, 2012

the eating slowly experiment: mindful eating method (introduction)

Eating slowly seems like such a simple goal, but I am terrible at it. Really, really, terrible. I guess it's a good thing I still have two methods left to test in my eating slowly experiment. I certainly hope I can find a method or combination of methods that work for me. Maybe I will never be a slow eater, but I can hope to be at least a moderately-paced eater, right? Maybe mindful eating, the test method I am introducing today, is my solution...



Eating Slowly Method #4


Method to be Tested. Practice mindful eating (thinking carefully about flavors, textures, etc. while eating).

How to do it. While eating, chew each bite carefully, taking the time and thought to reflect on how the food impacts all of your senses including how it looks, feels, and tastes. Also, during each eating period, stay mindful of the overall experience including the foods nutritional qualities, your satiety, and enjoyment.

Dates for Implementation. Thursday, April 26 to Thursday, May 17.

E-mail me (mylessseriouslife@gmail.com) or leave comments on this post to provide me with feedback as you use this method, or, if you already do this, how it works for you! Look for a results post around May 17.

Remember you can see the current eating slowly results table and check out the details and results for my other methods at the bottom of my food experiment page. 

Eat, reflect, eat reflect...

(image)

18 comments:

  1. Have you tried drinking between bites? I feel like that one could have some potential...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. no, i did the fork down method, but not the sip between bites. i defined my methods a priori (before starting the experiment) - but this may be a good one to add on at the end! i agree that this seems full of potential...

      Delete
  2. I already use this method!! I actually learned it 'from' my ED - when you only eat 800 calories a day you learn to savor them! haha! But seriously I think it's a better way to eat - you really get to experience your food, versus inhaling it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. oh wow! 800 calores i would be savoring too! but yes, seriously - it is great to experience food for what it is and not just gulp it down.

      Delete
  3. This is such a great idea to consciously eat slowly! I am actually already the slowest eater in my family. I often take at least TWICE as long as the rest as everyone else at the dinner table. I can't tell if I'm abnormally slow, or they are abnormally fast!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. i envy you! that is how my boyfriend is!

      Delete
  4. Between work and kids I could never do this. If I want to eat, I've got to just get it done! Hahaha! I do try to take my time at restaurants though.

    The fish oil is liquid and orange flavored. It makes my yogurt taste a bit orange. I love it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. haha that is exactly what my sister-in-law says because she has two small kids. so i'd better learn this now before i have all that extra stuff to do!

      interesting about the fish oil...i've never heard of that!

      Delete
    2. In Canada you can get it at the Superstore, but I think you're in the states?

      Delete
  5. Haha, I've been working at mindful eating for years. I think I'll still be working on it for years. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ha! ok so this is along term thing then...

      Delete
  6. Cant wait to hear what you have to say about this experiment! :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I really need to eat slowly!
    Thanks for the reminder. =)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hey! Are you an active online user or you are for offline communication?

    ReplyDelete
  9. Can I use this picture for an article that I'm writing about mindful eating? I can e-mail you the text if you want to make sure that you vibe with it first. I'd give you credit with a link to this article for promotion to your site as well!

    Please let me know asap,

    Rochelle

    ReplyDelete