Tuesday, May 15, 2012

my less serious day: intervention

Just like a crack addict spends his entire paycheck on getting a fix, I spend 30-40 dollars a week on produce alone. I also hoard my stash and refuse to share with anyone. 

If you don't see me for a few days, don't be surprised when find me in a dark corner - covered in broccoli florets and spinach leaves.

Wearing.

Top: unknown (old); skirt (please excuse the wrinkles): Hype via Ideeli; belt and shoes: TJ Maxx and/or Marshalls.

Doing.

This morning I went on a 30-minute run at working pace followed by a short 15-minute cool down walk with L. Group fitness classes are cancelled at the gym this week so instead, I took a leisurely 60-minute walk with L in the afternoon.

Eating.


Pre-workout I had 1/2 banana, 1/2 mug of black coffee, and 1 pint of water. For breakfast I had a bowl of Kashi GoLean Original mixed with Post Great Grains Raisin, Date, & Pecan cereal, chopped dates, cinnamon, and almond milk.


Lunch was a spinach and romaine lettuce salad with carrots, grape tomatoes, leftover roasted broccoli, smoked almonds, hummus thinned with almond milk, and balsamic vinegar. If you haven't drenched your salad in thinned hummus, you must. You really must.
  
  
My afternoon snack was a Pink Lady apple and cinnamon-roast almonds.


Dinner was a pile of spicy-roasted (cumin + garlic powder + cayenne) cauliflower and sweet potato topped with two fried eggs and salsa verde.


Dessert was a Skinny Cow peanut butter heavenly crisp.

Question: How much money do you spend on produce per week?

Note: this post represents what happened in my world on Monday, May 14. 

23 comments:

  1. Hy my name is Emily and I spend $40-50 on produce a week. Another confession - we buy local at the Farmer's Market and I come out carrying my 30lb son and 30lbs of produce. There, i've said it. I'm also an addict.
    Love,
    A fellow produce lovah'

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. haha! love it. your amount makes me feel better, but only slightly so. since you have a family of four and i have a family of...one.

      Delete
    2. We should start a support group. I'm another produce splurger! It's normal to spend $30 on produce for just one person, right?

      Delete
    3. haha! i have no idea. i just realized i spent this much because i went to the store not really needing anything except milk and yogurt and produce. and i walked away with a huge bill! it was the produce, faith, the produce. but, i can't stop!

      Delete
  2. Ha, I actually have that skirt but have yet to wear it because I didn't know what to wear it with... now I got some inspiration! woot! Also that cauliflower broccoli dish is making me drool...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yup, I am an addict as well. I don't think anyone will be trying to steal my stash anytime soon, though. My particular weaknesses, green beans, squash, and brussels sprouts. Can't get enough.

    I love that skirt. Pockets in skirts and dresses are fantastic.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. those are some of my favorites too! but, i certainly can't live without broccoli!

      Delete
  4. I'm a produce person too. The Farmer's Market just restarted for the season in my city, and I can't wait to get there this weekend!

    Cute belt!

    ReplyDelete
  5. That skinny cow candy bar looks good! I didn't know they sold those. As am admitted addict of kabocha squash, I literally hit up every farmers market/grocery store there is to find my beloved. It's just toooooo good!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. yeah the skinny cow candy is new. it is really heavenly!

      Delete
  6. Nice fried eggs! They look perfect. We spend loads of fruit in the week, but not much on veggies (at least in the winter). In the summer, I can spend about $30 just at the farmers market on produce though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks! i am perfecting my fried egg technique! :)

      Delete
  7. I am all about couponing and buying things on sale...it's kinda like a hobby for me. But, produce is the one thing that I will fork over good money for...it's the one thing that I really think it worth it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. oh i always wanted to get in to couponing. but, am lazy! good for you...

      Delete
  8. i probably spend $35/week on produce....I try to buy mostly organic and it's so expensive sometimes that it really adds up.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. it does! i don't even do that - but i'm sure if i switched my bill would skyrocket even more!

      Delete
  9. Yeaaah, we probably spend ~$30 on produce. Especially because I can go through a 5lb bag of apples in about 2 days. It's pretty intense :D

    ReplyDelete
  10. I easily spend $30+ on produce every week and never feel bad about it! It's so good for you, it's an area we can definitely afford to splurge on.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Yummy snacks! Gorgeous outfit! And yes, ditto on the produce. Probably around $40. I get some items organic and Vancouver is expensive. Sigh!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ok good. all you guys made me feel so much better! this is why i love my blog friends!

      Delete
  12. You look so pretty in that outfit! Love the cauliflower/sweet potato dish! Nice! :) I would not worry about how much you spend on produce. That should be entirely guilt-free. You are investing in your healthy future!

    ReplyDelete