Tuesday, May 29, 2012

weekend review: memorial day for one

Figure 1. Friday night's dinner: 15-minute creamy avocado pasta and roasted squash and zucchini.

Figure 2. Saturday afternoon baking: mom's favorite granola.

Figure 3. Sunday night's dinner: sausage ragu over creamy polenta and a lemony asparagus salad.

Figure 4. In preparation: my first roasted red pepper. I put a whole red pepper on a baking sheet in the oven at 450 degrees for 45 minutes, turning over every 15 minutes. I then immediately transferred the pepper to a bowl, covered with plastic wrap, and let cool. Once cool, you can easily remove the skin, stem, and seeds. I put a quarter of this pepper in the mayonnaise for my burger (see below) and sliced up the remainder, added a sliced garlic clove, covered in oil, and refrigerated for future use.

Figure 5. Monday night's dinner: a portobello burger with roasted red pepper mayonnaise, sweet potato fries, and roasted broccoli. I must say, a night to myself on the couch with a delicious burger and a Bethenney Ever After marathon turned out to be a pretty great Memorial Day after all.

11 comments:

  1. You have been getting so creative with your meals lately and it's making me drool with jealousy! I think once things calm down next week, I'm just going to go through your blog one post at a time and bookmark a kajillion recipes to make - starting with the portabello burger and red pepper mayo!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. it's true, faith. that is what happens when you have nothing but time on your hands because your boyfriend is gone all summer! ha!

      Delete
  2. Red pepper mayo?! Avocado pasta?! So many good things happening here, girl. It all looks so great! And I will never say no to a Bethenny Ever After marathon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks! yeah, i'm ashamed to say i think i watched almost the entire marathon and then ditched out to see the season finale, which was on too late for my liking.

      Delete
  3. Oooooh that pepper looks like it was delicious!! You are so creative.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks! but, it isn't as though i'm writing these recipes myself. i am a creative googler maybe?

      Delete
  4. Oh you have me wanting creamy polenta again, I haven't had that in so long! I also loveeee Portobello burgers; yours looks heavenly!

    ReplyDelete
  5. The title is so sad but it looks like such a good time!
    I like that you have a hammick going on the in the background ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. haha, it is a little sad - isn't it? but, it wasn't really - at least i ate well. :)

      Delete
  6. Oh my goodness Sara! I am dying over here! Your food looks SO delicious! That pasta, that granola, those fries! Eeek :D!

    ReplyDelete