Monday, August 15, 2011

weekend review: asparagus from heaven


 Figure 2. In preparation: last minute sausage and pepper ziti.

Figure 3. Sunday night's dinner: last minute sausage and pepper ziti and steamed broccoli.

Last Minute Sausage and Pepper Ziti

I pulled this together at the last minute (hence the title). I have never written a recipe, but at the request of my readers I have done my best to provide a little recipe here. It turned out pretty awesome, but I didn't do a lot of measuring so you should adapt this as your preferences and pantry permit.  

Ingredients:
1 1/2 cups dry ziti pasta (also reserve 1/2 cup pasta water)
1/2 red onion
2 links chicken sausage (I love hot! You could probably use only 1 link, but I love sausage)
1 tsp olive oil
1/2 red pepper
1/2 jar tomato basil tomato sauce
Red pepper flakes
Oregano
Basil
Parmesan cheese

Prepare ziti and reserve ~1/2 cup pasta water.

On medium-high heat, saute onion, red pepper, and sausage (un-case and break up in pan with a spatula) in olive oil for 5-7 minutes or until sausage is brown.

Add tomato sauce, red pepper flakes, oregano, and basil (amounts to your liking). When your pasta is done add about 1/2 cup of pasta water to the sausage mixture. Turn heat to low and simmer for 5-10 minutes or until sauce is heated through and thickened.

Add pasta to sauce, add a handful of Parmesan, and toss pasta to coat with sauce.

This should be plenty for two people and maybe some leftovers. Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment