Wednesday, August 3, 2011

the cereal experiment: Quaker Oatmeal Squares

Be honest, you were expecting more Kashi, weren't you? Healthy cereal is certainly not limited to Kashi products. I like Kashi, I appreciate their mission, my first cereal in this experiment was Kashi (and the majority probably will be), but just because a cereal isn't made by Kashi doesn't mean it isn't nutritious. Case and point: the second subject in the cereal experiment, Quaker Oatmeal Squares.


Results. Oatmeal squares provide a crunchy punch of brown sugar flavor that really makes me happy. But, don't get too excited about the picture above with the large bowl full of cereal. This is far more than a serving. Oatmeal squares is one of M's favorites and this photo is his breakfast portion. For the rest of us, a serving is 1 cup of Oatmeal Squares for 210 calories, but for some reason 1 cup of this cereal doesn't seem like very much. Call me gluttonous, but I really do appreciate being able to eat a substantial quantity of cereal.


The squares stay un-soggy (?) unlike so many other flake-based cereals. But, because just squares are involved, I found myself missing the variety in texture and getting bored with this cereal before I finished the box. The squares do score points for versatility. One evening, I added some crushed up squares to my greek yogurt and honey and found that it made a fantastic sweet and crunchy addition (although in truth you could do this with any cereal).


In terms of nutrition, Quaker Oatmeal Squares does a respectable job. The first ingredient is whole oat flour. And, for 210 calories, 2.5 grams of fat, and 17% of calories from sugar you also get 5 grams of fiber and 6 grams of protein. All for 28.1 cents/ounce.

Per serving, when compared to Kashi Golden Goodness (subject no. 1), Quaker Oatmeal Squares have a little more fat and sugar and a little less fiber and protein. And, even though your cereal stays crisp, you eat less product with a less interesting texture. Wait...maybe those Kashi people are on to something afterall?

All in all this is a great cereal, but because of its monotonous contents I don't think it will be a top contender. A little variety is good for the soul - and in my world that should start with breakfast.

2 comments:

  1. Maybe a cereal mixture is the way to compensate for cereal boredom.

    ReplyDelete
  2. If you were to compare the same serving sizes, you would find that Quaker Oatmeal Squares actually have more fiber and protein than Kashi Golden Goodness (along with more calories and fat).

    ReplyDelete