Thursday, October 20, 2011

the cereal experiment: Post Great Grains Crunchy Pecans

I already knew that my love was strong for Post Great Grains Crunchy Pecans cereal when I hopefully checked its nutritional content last week in the grocery aisle. You can only imagine my excitement when I saw its contents fit my criteria for the cereal experiment.


Results.
This is a perfect cereal. I love its hearty flavor with crunchy clusters, crispy flakes, and divine pecans. Despite its low sugar content, I am completely satisfied with all its other offerings. Perfect flavor and almost perfect texture. I, simply, love this cereal.



I must say, however, that this 'cereal' has caused me to question the very meaning of cereal itself. I knew that Great Grains was high density (you only get 3/4 cup for 210 calories), but when a little voice told me to compare it to my granola I was shocked. My granola is 3/4 cup for 210 calories. And, in my world granola is defined as a more caloric-dense treat to combine in small amounts with cereal or add to yogurt. Not to fill and be eaten in a cereal-sized bowl. No wonder I love Great Grains so much. 

Is Great Grains granola? Or is my granola cereal? What, my friends, is cereal?

Once I made this revelation, I couldn't help but treat Great Grains like granola. Having a granola-sized (i.e., smaller) bowl of cereal/granola just isn't what I want in the morning. I want substance. On the other hand, adding Great Grains in for a burst of flavor with my otherwise bland cereal is perfection.


Post Great Grains Crunchy Pecans is a high density treat with 6 grams of fat per serving. Despite these higher numbers, its sugar content is low with only 15% of calories of sugar per serving. It also deals out a minimum criteria-filling amount of fiber and protein at 5 grams each.

Despite my high ratings for taste and texture, Post Great Grains Crunchy Pecans falls to 6th place after ranking. A leader of the mainstream cereals, but not competitive with Kashi's warrior creations. A ranking, perhaps, for which Great Grains was always destined.


I will always love Post Great Grains Cereals, and the Crunchy Pecans variety holds a special place in my heart and pantry. But, its closer examination has caused me to question cereal on a deeper level, and its place in my life as an every morning cereal is now questionable. But, its place in my life as a granola-like addition is and likely always will be definite.

1 comment:

  1. I too am a lover of Post Great Grains Pecan Cereal. I have not found anything comparable
    to it. It must be as good as it gets!

    ReplyDelete