Friday, January 25, 2013

a serious interjection: on persistence

I was entering mile 9 of my 12th for the day and I wasn't going to make it. The sparkling water and pile of raw carrots and peanut butter I had downed two hours before just wasn't a good idea. My legs were a heavy mess. As I ran, feeling every single painful stroke, I was bribing myself to finish. This was proving to be one of the hardest long runs I had ever tackled and it certainly didn't help that the last two miles of this run were more or less solid hill - uphill.

I turned the corner and two fit older women looked up at me. One of the women said to the other, "Doesn't she have the most beautiful running gait?"

And I was transformed. 


In that moment and with those words I was reminded that after a certain mileage, running is 90% mental. With her words behind me, my attitude shifted and I pushed on. 

As I ran I remembered how that in college, when I first became active, my runs were slow and clunky and red-faced. I have worked hard - pushed myself to the limit - to be able to walk out the door and clock 12 miles on a Monday afternoon. I was finishing this run and not even a stomach full of raw carrots and tired legs could stop me.

And with these women's kind words in my my mind I finished. The hills were still hard and my stomach was still wonky, but I changed my attitude - and it made all the difference.

A Serious Interjection: Just keep going.

 --
Previous serious interjections:
on perfection 

on disappointment

13 comments:

  1. Its amazing how a little perspective shift can seriously transform your runs. Its insane just how mental it is...really, all your body has to do is put one leg in front of the other. Your brain will catch up!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. just like i told you the other day you were heading out for your 7 miler. all mental....

      Delete
  2. Way to rock it, girlie. I have to admit that the mental aspect of working out is what I struggle with the most. Things get hard and I just want to give up. Maybe I need to carry around a pocket-sized version of a perspective shifting woman... which just sounds strange lol.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. a pocket sized woman would be strange - but the inspiration would be fantastic!

      Delete
  3. All this talk about gait made me want to desparately read this post...what a nice reminder to be kind to others.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have those shoes... but i feel you. sometimes it is the reminder of why I run that keeps me going

    ReplyDelete
  5. Amazing and such a helpful reminder. 12 miles on a MONDAY?!?! Crazy-Amazing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. haha thanks macnic. so glad to get a comment from you!

      Delete
  6. Thanks for sharing and congrats on finishing this tough run with a positive attitude! A little (wo)man in my ear whispering motivating things would certainly be nice for me, too. Self-motivation isn't exactly one of my strong features.

    And 12 miles? Wow! Do you run that far regularly? It's impressive!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love this!
    Props to you for finishing the run!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is a great post Sara! Thanks for the reminder that persistance does pay off!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Yup mainly in the mind. I know that I will always feel better when I workout. It's just getting off my butt to do it that is the hardest thing.

    xo Emily @ Hungry Delights

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow that's so amazing! Congrats on finishing! It's amazing what an outside perspective can do, isn't it?

    ReplyDelete